An ongoing process of evaluating administrators on their skills, abilities, and competence will occur at a minimum, annually, concluding with a formal evaluation. The goal of the formal evaluation process is to ensure that the educational program for the students is carried out, ensure student learning goals of the district are met, promote growth in effective administrative leadership for the district, clarify the administrator's role as defined by the board and the superintendent, ascertain areas in need of improvement, clarify the immediate priorities of the responsibilities listed in the job description, and develop a working relationship between the superintendent and the administrator.
The superintendent is responsible for designing an administrator evaluation instrument. The formal evaluation will include written criteria related to the job description.
The formal evaluation will also include an opportunity for the administrator and the superintendent to discuss the written criteria, the past year's performance, and future areas of growth. The evaluation is completed by the superintendent, signed by the administrator, and filed in the administrator's personnel file.
The principal will be an educational leader who promotes the success of all students by:
- Facilitating the development, articulation, implementation, and stewardship of a vision of learning that is shared and supported by the school community.
- Advocating, nurturing, and sustaining a school culture and instructional program conducive to student learning and staff professional development.
- Ensuring management of the organization, operations, and resources for a safe, efficient, and effective learning environment.
- Collaborating with families and community members, responding to diverse community interests and needs, and mobilizing community resources.
- Acting with integrity, fairness, and in an ethical manner.
- Understanding the profile of the community and responding to and influencing the larger political, social, economic, legal, and cultural context.
It is the responsibility of the superintendent to conduct a formal evaluation of the probationary administrators and non-probationary administrators prior to May 15th.
This policy supports and does not preclude the ongoing informal evaluation of the administrator's skills, abilities, and competence.
Reviewed: 12/16; 11/19
Related Policy (Code #): 300.1; 301.1; 302.1-2, .4-6; 304.1
Legal Reference (Code of Iowa): §§ 279.8, .21-23A (2013); 281 IAC Ch 12.3(3); Ch 83
IASB Reference: 303.6