In order to assist the superintendent in carrying out the responsibilities of their office, and at the recommendation of the superintendent, the board may appoint an associate superintendent of schools who will perform such duties as assigned by the superintendent.
The associate superintendent must have the following qualifications:
- A master’s degree plus 30 semester hours of approved graduate preparation beyond the master’s degree from an accredited institution;
- The necessary licensure as required by the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners; and
- Sufficient educational background and experience to merit recommendation by the superintendent.
The first two years of a contract issued to a newly-appointed associate superintendent shall be considered a probationary period. The board may waive this period or the probationary period may be extended for an additional year upon the recommendation of the superintendent. In the event of termination of a probationary or non-probationary contract, the board will afford the associate superintendent appropriate due process, including notice by May 15th, as required by law. The associate superintendent and board may mutually agree to terminate the administrator’s contract at any time.
The associate superintendent:
- Will be directly responsible to the superintendent;
- Will assist the superintendent in the administration of the school district and, at the superintendent’s discretion, render any assistance desired in carrying out the responsibilities of their office; and
- Will implement, with fidelity, the policies of the board, Code of Iowa, federal law, and negotiated contracts.
If the associate superintendent wishes to resign, to be released from contract, or to retire, the associate superintendent must comply with applicable law and board policies dealing with retirement, release, or resignation.
Reviewed: 4/13; 12/16; 11/19
Revised: 12/10; 11/11; 8/14; 9/16
Related Policy (Code#): 300.1; 301.1; 304.1
Legal Reference (Code of Iowa): §§ 279.8, .21 (2013); 281 IAC 12.4; 1980 Op Atty Gen 367
IASB Reference: 303.2