You are here

501.10 - Student Transfers Out or Withdrawals

If the student's parents/legal guardians wish to withdraw or transfer the student from school prior to completing and graduating from the education program, they should notify the associate superintendent [or designee] in writing as soon as possible of the decision to withdraw or transfer the student from the education program. The parents/legal guardians should also notify the student’s attendance center of their decision to transfer their student out of the district.

The notice should state the student's final day of attendance. If the student is not enrolling in another school district, the district will maintain the student's records in the same manner as the records of students who have graduated from the school district.

If the parents/legal guardians wish to have the student's cumulative records sent to the new school district, the parents/legal guardians must notify the student’s attendance center in writing. This notice will include the name of the receiving school district and the person at the new school district to whom the student's cumulative records should be sent. If the new school district requests the student's cumulative records, the student’s attendance center will forward the cumulative records and notify the parents/legal guardians the records have been sent. The notice will inform the parents/legal guardians of their right to review the records sent.

If the student is of compulsory education age and not transferring to another public school district or an accredited nonpublic school, the parents/legal guardians will notify the associate superintendent [or designee] that the student is receiving competent private instruction and file the necessary competent private instruction reports.

Adopted: 9/98
Reviewed: 5/11; 3/12; 7/13; 10/14; 1/15; 9/20; 10/23
Revised: 8/06; 10/17
Related Policy: 500.1; 501.1-10; 604.23-25
Legal Reference (Code of Iowa): §§ 274.1; 299.1-1A; 299A.11; 20 USC § 1232g
IASB Reference: 501.07