Individuals who feel that they have been harassed should:
- If the individual is comfortable doing so, communicate to the harasser that the individual expects the behavior to stop. If the individual wants assistance communicating with the harasser, the individual should ask a teacher, counselor, or principal to help.
- If the harassment does not stop or the individual does not feel comfortable confronting the harasser, the individual should:
- Tell a teacher, counselor, or principal; and
- Write down exactly what happened, keep a copy, and give another copy to the teacher, counselor, or principal including the following information:
- What, when, and where it happened
- Who was involved
- Exactly what was said or what the harasser did
- Witnesses to the harassment
- What the student said or did either at the time or late
- How the student felt
- How the harasser responded
Complaint Procedure: An individual who believes they have been harassed or bullied will notify the associate superintendent as the designated investigator. The alternate investigator is the chief officer of human resources. The investigator may request that the individual complete the harassment/bullying complaint form and turn over evidence of the harassment including but not limited to letters, tapes, or pictures. The complainant shall be given a copy of the completed complaint form. Information received during the investigation is kept confidential, to the extent possible.
The investigator, with the approval of the building principal, or the building principal has the authority to initiate an investigation in the absence of a written complaint.
Investigation Procedure: The investigator will reasonably and promptly commence the investigation upon receipt of the complaint. The investigator will interview the complainant and the alleged harasser. The alleged harasser may file a written statement in response to the complaint. The investigator may also interview witnesses as deemed appropriate.
Upon completion of the investigation, the investigator will make written findings and conclusions to each allegation of harassment and report the findings and conclusions to the building principal. The investigator will also provide a copy of the findings of the investigation to the building principal.
Resolution of the Complaint: Following receipt of the investigator’s report, the building principal may investigate further if deemed necessary and make a determination of any appropriate additional steps, which may include discipline.
Prior to the determination of the appropriate remedial action the building principal may, at the their discretion, interview the complainant and the alleged harasser. The building principal will file a written report closing the case and documenting any disciplinary action taken or any other action taken in response to the complaint. The complainant, the alleged harasser, and the investigator will receive notice as to the conclusion of the investigation. The building principal will maintain a log of information necessary to comply with Iowa Department of Education reporting procedures.
Points to Remember in the Investigation:
- Evidence uncovered in the investigation is confidential.
- Complaints must be taken seriously and investigated.
- No retaliation will be taken against individuals involved in the investigation.
- Retaliators will be disciplined up to and including suspension and expulsion or, in the case of an employee, termination.
Conflicts of Interest: If the investigator is a witness to the incident, the alternate investigator shall investigate.
Reviewed: 9/10; 10/11; 4/13; 5/14; 9/16
Related Policy (Code #): 104.1; 104.1.E1-E3; 401.1; 403.13; 500.1