- Employees serving as a substitute teacher or on a temporary basis in the district will be licensed for the positions which they are to fill.
- Every effort shall be made to fill temporary positions with substitutes who have preparation equal to that of the regular contract licensed employees and who have passed a background check. In the event such persons are not available, the employment of personnel who are properly licensed is authorized on a purely substitute or temporary basis.
If a substitute teacher is serving on a substitute or temporary basis in the district for more than 60 days of teaching in one assignment, the responsible building administrator will contact the Chief Officer of Human Resources to review the documented need and benefit to the instructional program.
The daily substitute rate shall be established by the Board of Education.
- The daily rate shall apply for substitute teachers during the first 10 days in the same assignment.
- On the 11th consecutive day of service in the same assignment, the rate shall become 1/191 of the BA base salary of the current schedule.
- On the 21st consecutive day of service in the same assignment, the rate of pay shall be $30.00 per hour. Such per diem salary shall apply for only that period of employment in excess of 20 teaching days in the same assignment.
Substitute teachers receive no written contract or any benefits of a regular teacher (i.e., sick leave, etc.).
Reviewed: 12/11; 4/13; 12/16; 4/20
Revised: 1/11; 9/13; 9/14
Legal Reference (Code of Iowa): IASB v PERB, 400 NW 2d 571 (1987); §§ 20.1, .4(5), .9;Ch 272; 281 IAC 12.4
IASB Reference: 410.1