The board recognizes that the selection of instructional materials is a vital component of the school district’s curriculum. The board has sole discretion to approve instructional materials for the district. The board delegates its authority to determine which instructional materials will be utilized and purchased by the district to licensed employees. The licensed employees will work closely together to ensure vertical and horizontal articulation of instructional and library materials in the education program.
The superintendent may appoint an ad hoc committee to assist the licensed employees in selecting instructional materials. The committee may be composed of any of the following groups of stakeholders: school district employees, parents, community members, or representatives of community groups.
In reviewing current instructional materials for continued use and in selecting additional instructional materials, licensed employees will consider the current and future needs of the district as well as the changes and the trends in education and society. It is the responsibility of the superintendent [or designee] to report to the school board the action taken by the selection committee.
In making its recommendations to the superintendent, the licensed employees will select materials which:
- Support the educational philosophy, goals, and objectives of the district;
- Meet high standards of quality in factual content and presentation;
- Consider the needs, age, and maturity of students;
- Are within the school district’s budget;
- Foster respect and appreciation for cultural diversity and difference of opinion;
- Stimulate growth in factual knowledge and literary appreciation;
- Encourage students to become decision-makers, to exercise freedom of thought, and to make independent judgment through the examination and evaluation of relevant information, evidence, and differing viewpoints;
- Portray the variety of careers, roles, and lifestyles open to all people; and
- Increase an awareness of the rights, duties, and responsibilities of each member of a multicultural society.
In the case of textbooks, the school board will make the final decision after a recommendation from the superintendent [or designee]. The criteria stated above for selection of instructional materials will also apply to the selection of textbooks. The superintendent may appoint licensed employees to assist in the selections of textbooks.
Gifts of instructional materials must meet these criteria stated above for the selection of instructional materials. The gift must be received in compliance with Policy 802.7 Gifts, Grants, and Bequests.
The superintendent [or designee] will establish additional criteria to guide the selection of instructional materials through administrative regulation, ensuring alignment with educational goals.
Reviewed: 6/11; 6/12; 9/13; 1/18; 2/21
Revised: 4/15; 3/23; 8/23
Related Policy: 602.10-13; 602.27-R
Legal Reference (Code of Iowa): 279.8, .74; 280.14; 301; 281 IAC 12.3(12)
IASB Reference: 605.01-03