Annual Meeting of the Board: Each year after August 31st and prior to the organizational meeting of the board in odd numbered years, the board will hold its annual meeting. At the annual meeting the board will examine the financial books and settle the secretary’s and treasurer’s statements for the fiscal year ending the preceding June 30. As part of the annual reports, the treasurer will present affidavits from the depository banks. The board may also appoint legal counsel at the annual meeting.
In addition to the required business, the annual meeting agenda may include:
- Appointment of secretary and treasurer;
- Determine compensation of secretary and treasurer;
- Both secretary and treasurer shall post bond in such an amount as the board may require, but no less than that required in Chapter 291.2 of Iowa Code.
- Designate depository banks and maximum deposits;
- Receive affidavits from depository banks from the treasurer;
- Approve meeting dates for the following 12-month period; and
- Elect board officers in even numbered years.
Organizational Meeting of the Board: The board will hold its organizational meeting in odd numbered years at or before the first regular meeting following the canvass of votes. Notice of the meeting’s place and time will be given by the board secretary to each member, member-elect, and the public.
The purpose of the meeting is to transfer materials and responsibilities from the outgoing board to the new board. At the meeting, the board will elect a president and vice president who will hold office for one year. Once elected, the president and vice president will be entitled to vote on all matters before the board.
Organizational Meeting Procedures:
The organizational meeting will be held in two parts:
- The final meeting of the outgoing board; and
- The organizational meeting of the new board.
Final Meeting of the Retiring Board:
- Call to Order
- Roll Call
- Approval of Minutes of Previous Meeting(s)
- Audience Communications
- Unfinished Business
- Current claims/accounts for the retiring board to authorize
- Examine and Settle Books for Previous Year
- Review of Election Results
- The board secretary presents county auditor’s official report on elections and records results in the minutes.
- Adjournment of the Retiring Board
Organizational Meeting of the New Board:
The board secretary, as president pro tem, will preside over the meeting until a new board president is elected.
- Call to Order
- Roll Call
- Oath of Office
- The board secretary will administer the oath to new members
- Election of Board President
- The president pro tem [board secretary] calls for nominations, nominations need not be seconded. The board will then vote on the nominations. The secretary will announce the results of the vote and administer the oath of office to the president. The newly elected president will assume the chair.
- Election of Vice President
- The president will call for nominations, nominations need not be seconded. The board will then vote on the nominations. The president will announce the results of the vote and administer the oath of office to the vice president.
Other Items of Business at the Organizational Meeting May Include:
- Board resolution of appreciation recognizing public service rendered by retiring board members
- Determination of dates, times, and places for regular meetings of the board
- Board resolution to define the operating rules and practices that will be followed by the new board
- Board resolution to authorize the interim payment of bills pursuant to Policy 803.6 Approval and Payment for Goods and Services
- Audience communications
- Cabinet Update
Reviewed: 4/13; 8/14; 10/19
Revised: 10/11; 9/13; 9/16; 3/17
Related Policy (Code #): 204.1
Legal Reference (Code of Iowa): §§ 279.1, .3, .33
IASB Reference: 200.1R1; 210.1